The Board of Zoning Appeals shall administer the details of appeals or other matters referred to it regarding the application of the Zoning Ordinance. The board shall have the following specific powers:
- To hear and decide on appeals where it is alleged that there is error in any order, requirement, decision, or determination made by an administrative official in the enforcement of the Zoning Ordinance
- To interpret the provisions of the Zoning Ordinance in such a way as to carry out the intent and purposes of the adopted comprehensive plan, and to correct the several districts accompanying and made a part of this Ordinance where the actual street layout varies from the street layout as shown on the zoning district map
- To authorize, in specific cases, a variance from the specific terms of the regulations which will not be contrary to the public interest and where, due to special conditions, a literal enforcement of the provisions of the regulations, in an individual case, results in unnecessary hardship, and provided that the spirit of the regulations shall be observed, public safety and welfare secured, and substantial justice done
- Such variance shall not permit any use not permitted by the zoning regulations in such district
- The board must find that the granting of such variance will not merely serve as a convenience to the applicant, but will alleviate some demonstrable or unusual hardship or difficulty
- To grant exceptions to the provisions of the zoning regulations in those instances where the board is specifically authorized to grant such exceptions and only under the terms of the zoning regulations. In no event shall exceptions to the provisions of the zoning regulation be granted where the use or exception contemplated is not specifically listed as an exception in the zoning regulations
- Further, under no conditions shall the Board of Zoning Appeals have the power to grant an exception when conditions of this exception, as established in the zoning regulations by the Governing Body, are not found to be present.
All members of the board are required to be residents of the City of Phillipsburg. The Board of Zoning Appeals administers the details of appeals or other matters referred to it regarding the application of the Zoning Ordinance. Each board member serves a term of 3 years.
|Dan (D.C.) Crist